
Yesterday, I made the choice to buy most of my food organic. I may have to make some exceptions since organic food supply is not so easy to come by, but I'm not sure about that just yet.
In any case, yesterday, I bought a green that looked familiar, but it is most definitely new to my taste buds. I looked up the Hungarian translation to see what it is in English = garden sorrel?! Um, OK. I never heard of that. So I looked it up, and here is what I found: A Botanical Website
Some interesting info on that site about the plant itself and cultivation. Makes me really wish I had land and a garden!
Anyways, it's not just this sorrel that has me pumped. I also got some tomatoes yesterday that were the best I have ever had. I'm loving the organic food, and I didn't realize just how much of a difference it would make.
So, as for the garden sorrel, it's remarkably sweet and tart at the same time, and I found it to digest well. At the above gardening site, I found the following intriguing info:
Of the two kinds of Sorrel cultivated for use as vegetables or salads, Rumex acetosa, the Garden Sorrel, is an indigenous English plant, common, too in the greater part of Europe, in almost all soils and situations. It grows abundantly in meadows, a slender plant about 2 feet high, with juicy stems and leaves, and whorled spikes of reddish-green flowers, which give colour, during the months of June and July, to the grassy spots in which it grows.
It is generally found in pastures where the soil contains iron.
I wonder if it is not grown in the US because "we" have the same small number of plants produced on large scales, and so few remaining small farms? Or if it is because the lack of organic farming has left the soil without enough iron? In any case, I will be happy to eat this for awhile!

No comments:
Post a Comment